Sunday, February 22, 2009

When Should I Use Capitalization?

Proper capitalization is important. Never overlook these basic rules of capitalization:

Capitalize:
  1. The first word of a sentence
  2. The pronoun “I” and all its contractions (I’m, I’ll, I’ve,I’d)
  3. All proper nouns
  4. The first word of a quote (“Please, give me advice.”)
  5. A title or rank preceding a person’s name (Dr. Glenn Faust, Engr. Bradford)
  6. A person’s title inside a quotation or dialogue. (“Have a great trip, Sir!”)
  7. Compass points when referring to a specific region. (“My friend lives in the South.”)
  8. All words included in titles of books, songs, movies, and other art works
  9. Names of clubs and organizations
  10. Historical events
  11. Names of languages
Do not capitalize:
  • Names of seasons (winter, spring .summer, fall)
  • Directions when not referring to a specific region (The sun sets in the west.)
  • Names of elements (carbon, oxygen, helium, etc.)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Great resource for writers going on here! Enjoyed browsing, and happy writing!

Anonymous said...

If you are ever referring to molecular compounds which have the same name as the element, these are capitalized:

- She told me that Bromine gas was made up of two bromine atoms.

- Huffing Oxygen is fun, but atomic oxygen isn't cheap.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this post! You have on here things I've wanted to know how to do! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I'm book marking your blog so I can refer back to it often!!

Was just dropping by from SITS to say hi! hope you'll do the same.